Get the professional edge
Reward your achievements and experience in the people profession with Chartered Membership. It’s a visible sign of your ability to lead strategic thinking, drive change and create value for your organisation.
Whether you’re looking to move up, move on, or set up on your own, your CIPD designation opens the door to new opportunities in the people profession, and it inspires confidence in employers and clients and is an asset for your future career.
At Chartered Member grade you’re using your expertise and knowledge to make informed decisions and to influence others, and you’re delivering positive change through people solutions.
Find out what your #first100days as a Chartered Member might look like.
This grade could be for you if…
- you have experience working at Chartered Member level for a minimum of one year within the last five years
- you are an experienced people professional who is working operationally while thinking strategically
- you deliver people solutions that drive change within organisations and/or the profession
- you’ll lead the thinking in your area of people practice, using in-depth knowledge of your organisation to inform people strategy
- you’ll be aware of the wider impact of your work on other people approaches in your organisation, and its impact on business practices and goals
- you’ll influence and collaborate with a wide range of people including your immediate colleagues, other people professionals and stakeholders across your organisation
- you can provide insight and perspective on relevant business trends outside the organisation, and in the people profession as a whole
- you’ll evaluate, question and assess information from a range of sources to make evidence-based judgements and decisions
When you’re a Chartered Member, you can use the designation Chartered MCIPD after your name.
The Chartered Member grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming a Chartered Member via Experience Assessment or Upgrading, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
What people say about being a Chartered Member
Becoming a Chartered MCIPD has really helped my career. Organisations out there really value the CIPD. It’s just sometimes nice to go 'yes-got-it'.
Alison J. Cowan, Chartered MCIPD
Multilingual Coach and HR Consultant
The CIPD has been central to my career development. It has brought me career success... It shows you've achieved something and in turn it means a lot to people.
Gareth Germain, Chartered MCIPD
EMEA HR Manager, AFEX
A lot of HR professionals are actually on their own... It can be quite lonely. You're there trying to communicate with senior leaders about how to do things the best way and the CIPD helps me to feel part of a wider community.
Nicola Barber, Chartered MCIPD
HR Leader UK and Ireland
Connect, learn and be inspired
The CIPD Learning Hub is an online learning platform that supports the delivery of world-class, cutting-edge learning that is available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
It makes it easier than ever for you to make professional development a day-to-day, career-long priority to increase the impact and effectiveness you have in your role. Self-assessment, learning plan and learning reflection tools are built into the hub, helping you to maintain your level of expertise and embed it into your practice.
Practical and inspiring resources to keep you up to date in the fast changing world of work and support those who are studying:
- CIPD Profession Map – our competency standards set out what the best in HR and L&D are doing and help you assess your professional capability and how to progress your career
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- Use our CPD reflective questions to demonstrate your commitment to learning and staying up to date, and the impact on you and your organisation
- CIPD career hub - an online gateway to a host of information, tools and advice to help you be successful in your job search
- Professionalisation - access to supports to diagnose and build the capability and professionalism of your HR and L&D team
The award-winning People Management magazine, app and website
'I love my People Management magazine. It's my lunchtime read where I can read about the case studies and inspiring people who are doing great things. It makes me think "Yes, I am in the right career!"'
Rebecca Watts Assoc CIPD
HR and L&D Project Manager for Health Education England
Easy access to support when you need it
How to become a Chartered Member
There are two ways:
What’s the best route for you?
If you were previously in membership, find out how to come back to ensure your expertise is professionally recognised and trusted.
Chartered Member fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Chartered Member fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023): £195.
You can pay by card or through direct debit instalments, and you’ll need to renew your membership annually on 1 July. We’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due.
Fees for our routes to becoming a Chartered Member:
|Experience Assessment route||Fee (1 July 2022 – 30 June 2023)|
|One-off assessment fee||£2,045|
|12-month Chartered Member fee*||£195|
The assessment fee is non-refundable.
|Study a qualification route||Fee (1 July 2022 – 30 June 2023)|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres|
|12-month Student Member fee*||£99|
|Upgrade from Associate to Chartered Member||£60-120|
|Total||Qualification fee and £199-259|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Foundation/Associate Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July. You may be able to upgrade to Chartered Member, depending on your experience and qualification.
If you’ve already finished a CIPD accredited qualification, call us +44 (0)20 8612 6208 to find out whether you can become an Associate Member.
|12-month Chartered Member fee*||£195|
*Depending on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.
Fees are presented in Sterling, and card payments will be charged the exchange rate of your financial services provider.
- For guidance on the euro rate click here to convert currency.
Eurozone Direct Debit
You can set up a SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Direct Debit to pay in euros. Please complete our SEPA Direct Debit instruction form and send it with your membership application form.
Direct debit payment amounts are based on our current exchange rate €1.18 = £1 (rate is reviewed annually).
Not sure if Chartered Member grade is right for you?
For people professionals whose work is operational with some complexity: you’re beginning to contribute your thinking to people issues and solutions
For people professionals who combine strategic insight and people expertise with commercial acumen, to change the way organisations think about their people
* Calls are routed through to the UK