Leading the people profession
Chartered Fellow is a clear sign of your proven strategic abilities, people expertise and business impact. It shows you are committed to inspiring and shaping the future of the people profession.
You are recognised as a thought leader, influencer and expert change agent in today’s evolving workplace. You are advancing people strategy as a positive force for good, and proving its value in the world of work..
Being a Chartered Fellow also gives you a respected platform to influence change, shape policy, and deepen your engagement with the people profession.
This grade could be for you if…
- you have experience working at Chartered Fellow level for a minimum of one year within the last five years. This is a minimum requirement, and it’s likely that you will need more than a year
- you are an experienced people professional who is working strategically with high levels of complexity
- your work will usually be entirely strategic in thinking and/or delivery
- you’ll lead the thinking on people function across the organisation
- your work changes mindsets and attitudes, transforming the way organisations think about and value their people
- your evidence-based thinking is driving complex people programmes which have a significant impact on the organisation, its sector and in the wider profession
- your expertise influences at senior levels and is shaping the future of the people profession
- you’re a role-model for the people profession, making ethical decisions backed by professional integrity
When you’re a Chartered Fellow, you can use the designation Chartered FCIPD after your name.
The Chartered Fellow grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming a Chartered Fellow via Experience Assessment or Upgrading, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
What people say about being a Chartered Fellow
CIPD membership has given me extra confidence. I have a source to make sure those skills are up-to-date and a peer group to 'swap notes'.
Kay Heald, Chartered FCIPD
Even though I have been in this profession for over 30 years, the learning never stops. Without wishing to sound cheesy, CIPD membership has enabled me to do that.
Kathy Hampden, Chartered FCIPD
Having the CIPD Chartered Fellow title demonstrates that I'm recognised for my work. It shows that I'm competent, credible and professional.
Tania Tiippana, Chartered FCIPD
Global Learning and Development Business Partner, PAREXEL
Thought-leadership in the real world.
Enjoy Work. the new strategic quarterly journal, exclusive to CIPD Chartered Fellows.
'Congratulations on a first class business journal. I received it today and have read it with huge interest; extremely interesting and relevant articles. You have pitched it perfectly and it is a high quality product. More of the same please.'
CIPD Chartered Fellow member
Plus get the Award-winning People Management magazine, app and website.
The CIPD Learning Hub is an online learning platform that supports the delivery of world-class, cutting-edge learning that is available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
It makes it easier than ever for you to make professional development a day-to-day, career-long priority to increase the impact and effectiveness you have in your role. Self-assessment, learning plan and learning reflection tools are built into the hub, helping you to maintain your level of expertise and embed it into your practice.
Practical and inspiring resources to keep you up to date in the fast changing world of work and support those who are studying:
Connect, learn and be inspired
- CIPD Profession Map – our competency standards set out what the best in HR and L&D are doing and help you assess your professional capability and how to progress your career
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- Use our CPD reflective questions to demonstrate your commitment to learning and staying up to date, and the impact on you and your organisation
- CIPD career hub - an online gateway to a host of information, tools and advice to help you be successful in your job search
- Professionalisation - access to supports to diagnose and build the capability and professionalism of your HR and L&D team
Easy access to support when you need it
How to become a Chartered Fellow
There are two ways:
What’s the best route for you?
If you were previously in membership, find out how to come back to ensure your expertise is professionally recognised and trusted.
Chartered Fellow fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Chartered Fellow fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023): £221.
Fees for our routes to becoming a Chartered Fellow:
|Experience Assessment route||Fee (1 July 2022 – 30 June 2023)|
|One-off assessment fee||£2,375|
|12-month Chartered Fellow fee*||£221|
The assessment fee is non-refundable.
|Study a qualification route||Fee (1 July 2022 – 30 June 2023)|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres|
|12-month Student Member fee*||£99|
|Upgrade from Associate to Chartered Fellow||£250|
|Total||Qualification fee and £389|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Foundation/Associate Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July. You may be able to upgrade to Chartered Fellow depending on your experience and qualification.
If you’ve already finished a CIPD accredited qualification, call us +44 (0)20 8612 6208 to find out whether you can become an Associate Member.
|12-month Chartered Member fee*||£221|
*Depending on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.
Fees are presented in Sterling, and card payments will be charged the exchange rate of your financial services provider.
- For guidance on the euro rate click here to convert currency.
Eurozone Direct Debit
You can set up a SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Direct Debit to pay in euros. Please complete our SEPA Direct Debit instruction form and send it with your membership application form.
Direct debit payment amounts are based on our current exchange rate €1.18 = £1 (rate is reviewed annually).
Not sure if Chartered Fellow grade is right for you?
* Calls are routed through to the UK