Is studying for me?
Completing a CIPD professional qualification will advance your learning in HR or L&D and is the most frequent route into CIPD membership.
When you study a Foundation, Intermediate or Advanced qualification at Diploma or Certificate level you’ll be invited to register as a Student member of the CIPD. On completion of your qualification you’ll be awarded Associate member designation (Assoc CIPD) which adds instant credibility to your CV.
Studying an Advanced Diploma opens up even more doors for you. If you've got one year's experience at the right level, you can apply to become a Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow after you complete your qualification.
The rewards of study
Our HR and L&D qualifications help you to develop the knowledge and abilities that employers look for. We currently have more than 25,000 professionals studying a CIPD qualification to show they’ve achieved recognised industry standards.
- Increases your career prospects and earning potential.
- Builds your confidence and professional credibility to handle your organisation’s people management and development issues.
- Extends your learning and supports your future ambitions.
See what our members say
'I absolutely believe that the CIPD qualification has increased my confidence at work…and given me recognition in the industry and the organisation that I am working in.'
Emma Smart, Chartered MCIPD
What does it involve?
There are four straightforward steps to studying a CIPD qualification and gaining membership.
Step 2: Find a Study Centre
Use the Qualification Finder to locate a Study Centre that works for you; this includes our digital learning centres.
Step 3: Join as a Student Member
Once you’ve registered for a qualification you join the CIPD as a Student member and benefit from extensive member resources and support.
Step 4: Complete your qualification
On successful completion of your Certificate or Diploma you’ll be awarded Associate level membership. Renew your membership each year, upgrade your member level as your career progresses, and keep the CIPD as your lifelong career partner.
Find a qualification
The CIPD offers 17 qualifications which can lead to either Associate or Chartered membership once completed.
When registering for a qualification you’ll initially be invited to join the CIPD as Student member.
If you want to become a Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow
Study either a
- Level 7 Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Level 7 Diploma in Human Resource Development
You’ll gain Associate level membership on successful completion, and if you have at least one year of experience working at Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow level, you can apply to upgrade your membership.
If you want to become an Associate member
Study one of these qualifications and on completion you’ll be awarded Associate level membership.
- Foundation Diploma in Human Resources Practice
- Foundation Diploma in Learning and Development
- Foundation Certificate in Human Resources Practice
- Foundation Certificate in Learning and Development
- Intermediate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Intermediate Diploma in Learning and Development
- Intermediate Diploma in Applied Human Resources
- Intermediate Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Intermediate Certificate in Learning and Development
- Advanced Certificate in Human Resources
We also offer Award level qualifications that focus on specific HR or L&D subjects. These offer the opportunity to register as a Student CIPD member for the duration of your study, but do not lead to either Associate or Chartered membership.
How much does it cost?
The cost of studying for your chosen CIPD qualification will vary, depending on its complexity and the Study Centre you choose. For an idea of what you can expect to pay, please contact your chosen Study Centre through the Qualification Finder.
When you register for a qualification and enrol as a Student member you can join at our lowest membership fee. On completion of your qualification you will be upgraded to Associate level. For more on our annual fees, please see Membership Fees.
* Calls are routed through to the UK