Make your experience count
Experience Assessment is a rigorous, time-efficient and rewarding way for HR and L&D professionals, practitioners and consultants to become professional members of the CIPD.
Experience Assessment is a great choice if you:
- have current HR or L&D experience appropriate to the level of membership you’re applying for
- want recognition for your contributions to organisational success
- seek a flexible route into professional membership that works around your lifestyle without having to study a full qualification.
Become a professional member in five steps
Experience Assessment is designed to fit into the lives of busy HR and L&D practitioners by utilising your existing experience in the field. In this video, we map out the five stages of the Experience Assessment route to professional membership of the CIPD.
Reward your achievements with professional recognition
Experience Assessment allows you to reflect on your career, skills and knowledge to date, and highlights your areas for development to meet your long-term career aspirations. Within as little as four months you could:
- be awarded a level of professional membership with exclusive member benefits
- use designatory letters after your name (Assoc CIPD, Chartered MCIPD or Chartered FCIPD)
- benchmark your HR or L&D experience against the industry standard
- learn how you can be even better at what you do, whatever your level
- demonstrate your commitment to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and our Code of Professional Conduct.
The first step is to book your FREE pre-assessment discussion by calling +44 (0)20 8612 6208 (GMT).
The five stages of Experience Assessment
Experience Assessment is both challenging and rewarding, and is designed to fit around your full-time work commitments. At its core is a five-step process:
Step 1 - Your pre-assessment discussion
The pre-assessment discussion is a FREE, 30-45 minute discussion by telephone with an experienced assessor. It helps determine your eligibility for Experience Assessment, and whether it's the right route into professional membership for you.
Before you book your pre-assessment discussion though, make sure you check your eligibility against our requirements for the level of membership you wish to apply for:
Book your pre-assessment discussion today. Call us on: +44 (0)20 8612 6208(GMT).
Step 2 - Register and pay for the full Experience Assessment
After your pre-assessment discussion you’ll need to register and pay for the full Experience Assessment process, including your CIPD membership. While you’re completing the process, your CIPD membership will give you access to a range of materials, online research and communities that'll help and support you throughout your online assessment.
Step 3 - Complete your online assessment
You should expect to invest around 10-15 days of your time over an eight-week period to do the following part of the online assessment:
- Impact report: Demonstrate how you’ve contributed to your organisation’s success.
- Self assessment: Demonstrate how you meet the behaviours required of an effective HR or L&D professional.
- Case study: Provide a business report for a fictional organisation.
- Workplace feedback: provide feedback from people you work with, including your line manager (or client, if you’re a consultant).
The timescales above are estimates and should be used as guidelines only. We strongly advise you to plan ahead, and give yourself enough time to think and prepare your examples.
Step 4 - Your Professional Discussion
Approximately 3-4 weeks after you complete your online assessment you’ll have your Professional Discussion - a half-day interview either face-to-face or via Skype with an experienced CIPD assessor. Your assessor will explore your evidence in more detail - discussing your submission, exploring the examples you’ve used, and talking through your case study in more detail.
About a month later you’ll receive your results, as well as a tailored feedback report highlighting your strengths and areas for potential further development.
Step 5 - Receive the outcome of your assessment
You'll learn the outcome of your assessment within six weeks and will receive a tailored report to support your continuing professional development. If you're successful, you'll be awarded professional membership of the CIPD with designatory letters after your name:
- Associate member (Assoc CIPD)
- Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD)
- Chartered Fellow (Chartered FCIPD).
We’ll also send you your new professional member card and certificate. If you're reading this and have successfully completed your Experience Assessment already, then congratulations! You’re now a professional member of the CIPD.
Experience Assessment fees
You will need to renew your membership on the 1 July 2019 (6 months membership) or 1 July 2020 (18 month membership) and 1st July each year after that. Don't worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
|Membership type||Assessment fee||Joining fee||Membership fee (up to 6 months)||Total|
|Membership type||Assessment fee||Joining fee||Membership fee (up to 18 months)||Total|
Fees are presented in Sterling, and card payments will be charged the exchange rate of your financial services provider.
- For guidance on the euro rate click here to convert currency.
Eurozone Direct Debit
You can set up a SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Direct Debit to pay in euros. Please complete our SEPA Direct Debit instruction form and send it with your membership application form.
Direct debit payment amounts are based on our current exchange rate €1.15 = £1 (rate is reviewed quarterly).