Is Experience Assessment for me?
Experience Assessment is for those with recent experience working in the people profession who meet our membership standards. People professionals are those working in HR, Learning & Development, Organisation Development & Design, Inclusion and Diversity, and other people specialisms.
If you work in one of these areas, this route to membership is for you. It could suit you whether you’re an independent consultant, you’re working for a large corporate or smaller organisation, public or private sector. It’s about demonstrating you have the knowledge, behaviours and impact required for the CIPD membership grade you want to achieve.
The experience you draw on for Experience Assessment needs to come from the last five years to ensure it’s an accurate reflection of your current practice.
Find out if Experience Assessment is for you, complete the online Pre-Assessment.
The benefits of Experience Assessment
Experience Assessment is a time-efficient and rewarding route to membership that’s designed to fit into the lives of busy people professionals.
- Delivers professional recognition through membership: you can use a designation after your name that shows your experience (Assoc CIPD, Chartered MCIPD or Chartered FCIPD).
- Takes as little as four months.
- Not a qualification, so no studying or exams: it’s all about your experience.
- Rewards your achievements and contribution to organisational success.
A professionally rewarding experience
- Gives you the opportunity to reflect on your career, skills and knowledge to date.
- Highlights potential areas for development towards meeting your long-term professional goals.
- Benchmarks your people experience against the industry standard.
See what our members say
What does it involve?
The five steps of Experience Assessment can fit around your professional and personal commitments.
Step 1: Online Pre-Assessment
Find out which membership grade to apply for, based on your current level of experience. It’s free, flexible and quick with our online Pre-Assessment Tool.
- Gives you an immediate result.
- Takes around 10 minutes to complete.
- Can help you identify areas for development.
How much does it cost?
Experience Assessment fees - existing members
One-off assessment fee*
When registering for Experience Assessment, current Affiliate and Associate members of the CIPD only pay the assessment fee.
- Assessment for Associate £1,996
- Assessment for Chartered Member £2,045
- Assessment for Chartered Fellow £2,375
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
Annual membership fee
The next time you renew your membership, and once you’ve completed Experience Assessment, you’ll pay the membership fee for the grade you’re awarded.
Experience Assessment fees - new members
|Membership type||Joining fee||One-off assessment fee*||Membership up to 12 months valid until 30/06/22||Total|
Our membership year runs from 1 July to 30 June and you can join membership at any time.
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
Fees are presented in Sterling, and card payments will be charged the exchange rate of your financial services provider.
- For guidance on the euro rate click here to convert currency.
Eurozone Direct Debit
You can set up a SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Direct Debit to pay in euros. Please complete our SEPA Direct Debit instruction form and send it with your membership application form.
Direct debit payment amounts are based on our current exchange rate €1.15 = £1 (rate is reviewed quarterly).
Experience Assessment not for you?
Study a Certificate or Diploma qualification which will lead to Associate membership.
Explore our free line manager support resources if you’re a people manager. This is typically professionals responsible for directly leading or managing employees and who enable and implement HR policies, practices and frameworks.
* Calls are routed through to the UK