Supporting your strategy to develop HR and L&D teams
Recognise the delivery of world-class HR and L&D
Becoming a CIPD Chartered Member is a significant career milestone. It brings the designation Chartered MCIPD and access to one of the biggest online collections of HR and L&D resources, as well as support from a community of over 160,000 members.
Your investment demonstrates that your team:
- has met rigorous standards for good practice
- adheres to our code of professional conduct and continues its professional development
- is committed to delivering a quality service that supports your organisation’s strategy and people.
Benefits of CIPD membership
The CIPD is the only HR and L&D professional body that can award Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow grade to individual HR and L&D professionals. Chartered Membership benchmarks capability and experience against CIPD standards and builds credibility with colleagues and clients.
- Stay up to date and informed – Access the CIPD’s expert research, surveys and policy reports, plus practical employment law information, factsheets and guides.
- Stay connected – Widen your network and learn from other HR and L&D professionals at the many CIPD events organised in the UK, Ireland and internationally.
- Stay one step ahead – The CIPD Career hub is an online gateway to a host of information, tools and advice exclusively for CIPD members, supporting HR and L&D professionals at every stage of their career.
- Stand out – Use the internationally recognised designation ‘Chartered MCIPD’ to demonstrate your credibility and professionalism
Routes into membership
There’s a CIPD membership grade to suit everyone in your team.
- Chartered Member and Chartered Fellow for your most experienced and senior team members.
- Associate Member for anyone who has completed a pre-2021 Certificate or Diploma qualification, or one of our new Associate or Advanced qualifications, or has at least a few years’ experience.
- Foundation Member for anyone who has completed the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in People Practice.
- Affiliate Member for anyone who wants access to resources and research, a way to stay up to date, to connect and to continue their professional development.
There are two options for becoming a CIPD member – studying a qualification or completing Experience Assessment. If you choose the qualification route, your team members will become either CIPD Associate or Foundation Members. The CIPD Advanced Diploma leads to Associate Membership, and your team members may be eligible to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, depending on their experience.
Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow for experienced people professionals
Experience Assessment is a direct route to CIPD membership. It doesn’t require sitting an exam or a qualification in HR to be eligible. Instead, professionals provide written examples of their work experience from the last five years to showcase how they meet the membership requirements. This is followed by a Professional Discussion with a CIPD Assessor to talk through their knowledge and experience in more detail.
Larger organisations can sponsor a group of people professionals to go through Experience Assessment at the same time.
Find out more about Experience Assessment or give us a call today on +44 (0) 20 8612 6206
Upgrading your membership
If members of your team are already in CIPD membership, we can help you ensure that their membership grade reflects the level of HR knowledge, responsibility and impact they’ve reached in their careers.
There’s no need to upgrade through each membership grade, that is, Associate Member to Chartered Member to Chartered Fellow. Professionals apply for the membership grade that is most relevant to them.
Find out more about Upgrading or give us a call today on +44 (0) 20 8612 6206
This option helps professionals stay up to date and gain access to the following resources:
- good practice guides, toolkits and how-to guides to support members every day
- employment law updates
- online communities and networking events to help you connect with other HR professionals
- email updates, People Management content, podcasts and webinars to showcase the latest trends and ideas
- continuing professional development tools to help members benchmark against our standards and identify their learning needs.