Gives introductory guidance on the law relating to holidays and time off
Lists the key entitlements under the working time regulations and covers the 48 hour week, breaks during work, daily rest entitlement, weekly rest periods, compensatory rest, annual leave, Sunday working and night work in more detail. Explains the provisions of the General Exemption Regulations including employees travelling long distances, security or surveillance work and continuity of production or production. Also covers case law on employees with no fixed place of work and working time and working time records.
The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 provides employees with a number of key entitlements in relation to minimum rest periods and maximum working hours.
- a 48 hour maximum working week
- a daily rest period of 11 consecutive hours
- a break of at least 15 minutes for every four hours 30 minutes worked
- a weekly rest period of at least 24 consecutive hours in each period of seven days
- an eight hour limit on the working hours of night workers.
- compensation for working on a Sunday
The Act and its supplementary regulations, govern the working conditions of the majority of workers in Ireland.