Margaret Collins, Chairperson, CIPD Ireland Southern Region, opened the event and welcomed attendees. Margaret reiterated the current importance of employee engagement as a strategic HR topic, both for regional members, and as validated in Fastnet – The Talent Group’s recent survey that 44% of employees are likely to move roles in the coming 18 months.
Following Margaret’s introduction, Niamh O’Driscoll, Managing Partner, Fastnet – The Talent Group, provided context as to Fastnet’s continued expansion in an ever-evolving talent landscape, including the recent appointments of Richard Butler as Director, Executive Search and Dave Barry as Director, Talent & Transformation.
Commenting on the CIPD Ireland breakfast as its sponsor, Niamh said 'We continue to see that companies investing in talent management, with a real focus on today’s topic of employee engagement, are reaping rewards. It’s an ongoing process in any organisation, but it is as critical part of operational success.' Introducing the speaker, Niamh said that both Mary Leamy as an individual, and Biomarin as an organisation, are clients with exemplary engagement focus.
To a room of engaged HR leaders, Mary Leamy provided the global context that 28% of employees in the US and Canada have considered leaving their employer in the last 12 months, nearly half of US employees are confident they can find a job that matches their compensation level within six months, and two thirds in tech could find a better job in 60 days.
'The real reason employees leave companies is based on how they feel in the workplace, so employee experience and culture are vital to keep your talent,' Mary said. With the number of open jobs growing, and the pool of qualified candidates shrinking, it is more competitive than ever.
Some key engagement considerations are:
- Ultimately, talent magnet companies live their values, with trust/character, engagement, energy and focus/good priorities constituting the top four that strongly guiding them
- The four keys to building an engaging culture are:
- employee experience journey mapping
- getting all functions involved in generating talent magnetism
- being honest about what employees should expect – and delivering on it
- learning, exploring and adapting
- The Passion Pyramid of leadership skills, employee needs and outcomes is a great way to think about creating a vibrant culture
- According to Professor Linda A Hill of Harvard Business School, engagement magic is comprised of challenge, learning, variety, significance, autonomy, trust and shared values
Download Mary's slides below.